- A place from which one’s strength is drawn, where one feels at home; the place where you are your most authentic self.
- It is a metaphysical concept in the Spanish language.
- The term comes from the Spanish verb “querer” which means “to desire“.
- In bullfighting, a bull may stake out his querencia, a certain part of the bull ring where he feels strong and safe.
- Ernest Hemingway’s 1932 nonfiction book Death in the Afternoon, describes the querencia as follows — A querencia is a place the bull naturally wants to go to in the ring, a preferred locality… It is a place which develops in the course of the fight where the bull makes his home. It does not usually show at once, but develops in his brain as the fight goes on. In this place he feels that he has his back against the wall and in his querencia he is inestimably more dangerous and almost impossible to kill.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some of the links or advertisements in the wordket website are affiliate links or advertisements, meaning, at no additional cost to you. We will earn a commission, if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you 🙂