‘Tenet’- written and directed by Christopher Nolan and produced by Nolan and Emma Thomas, is Nolan’s most expensive film. With a massive budget of nearly $225 million, Tenet is star-studded and expansive- having been shot in seven countries across the globe. In Nolan’s words, Tenet is the most ambitious film of his career. Filming for Tenet began in May 2019 and its release by Warner Bros. Pictures is scheduled for July 17, 2020.
The film is illuminated with a cast led by John David Washington, Robert Pattinson and Elizabeth Debicki. Supporting characters will be played by Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Michael Caine, Kenneth Branagh, Clémence Poésy, Denzil Smith, Dimple Kapadia, Martin Donovan and Himesh Patel.
A small teaser of the film was released in August 2019, but the plot of the film was kept under wraps-which is no surprise knowing Nolan likes to maintain the element of surprise. All that was shared about the project was that it is an action epic revolving around international espionage, time travel, and evolution. It is said that none of the actors too had the script in their possession.
Every new project by Nolan exhibits his bent at innovation and showmanship, which gives the audience something they haven’t seen before. Quite naturally, there was speculation on how this story-line unfolds.
With the debut trailer now unveiled, the little we derive is that Tenet is a time-twisting mission to save the world. The lead actor- Washington (seemingly a detective), in trying to prevent World War III, travels back and forth in time. The trailer is inviting and remarkably well crafted to reserve the plot, only suggesting the film is beautifully shot and would be gripping.
Behind-The-Scenes Creative Team
- Executive Producer– Thomas Hayslip
- Music– Swedish Composer, Ludwig Göransson who recently bagged the Best Original Score-Oscar for his work on Marvel’s “Black Panther” and a Grammy for his work on Childish Gambino’s “This Is America” will handle the original score as the composer for Tenet.
- Director of Photography– Noted Dutch-Swedish film-maker, Hoyte van Hoytema, as the DoP has used a combination of 70mm film and IMAX to bring the story on screen.
- Film Edits– One of the most notable crew members in production- Jennifer Lame is doing the film edits.
- Production Designer– Nathan Crowley has worked on the look of the sets.
- Costumes– Designed by Jeffrey Kurland.
- Visual Effects Supervisor– Andrew Jackson.
‘Tenet’, with a giant budget, that offers the massive star power, locations across seven countries, huge set pieces and a stellar team, seems promising and in all possibility could make an exciting and incredible blockbuster!