Affiliate Disclosure: Some of the links or advertisements below are affiliate links or advertisements, meaning, at no additional cost to you. We will earn a commission, if you click through and make a purchase. Thank you 🙂
Broken wheat upma is a quick, appetizing, nutritious and healthy breakfast preparation. It also makes a good carry in your lunch box. It is filling and keeps you energized for a good part of the day because of the nutritious content of broken wheat and all the vegetable ingredients that go into it.
Broken wheat is popularly known as Dalia, Lapsi and is high in protein and fibre, low in calories, fat and carbohydrates. It is often one of the most recommended preparations for people who want to lose weight and also for diabetics. It is also a good source of iron, magnesium and other minerals that help in maintaining a good overall health.
- Broken wheat- 1 cup
- Water- 3 cups
- Onion- 1 small (cut into small pieces)
- Ginger- A small piece, finely chopped
- Tomato- 1 (cut into small pieces)
- Potato-1 (cut to small cubes)
- Carrot- 1 (cut to small pieces)
- Beans- 6 (cut to small pieces)
- Bell pepper- 1 (cut to small pieces)
- Cabbage- ½ cup sliced
- Green peas- ¼ cup
- Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
- Whole black pepper- 8 to 10
- Green chillie- 1 (cut to small pieces)
- Salt- to taste
- Oil / ghee- 2 tablespoons
- Coriander leaves- finely chopped
- Dry roast the broken wheat on a low flame until it starts to change color and leaves an aroma. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a cooker pan. Add the jeera, black peppers, ginger and green chillies.
Once the cumin seeds splutter, add the onions and saute.
- When the onion turns pink, add tomato and saute until it’s mushy.
- Add carrot, potato, beans, peas and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and cabbage and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add salt and water and bring it to boil.
- Finally add the roasted broken wheat.
- Cook this mixture until 2 or 3 whistles on low flame.
Once the pressure subsides, mix the preparation and serve. Then garnish it with coriander leaves.
I hope you relish this preparation and it features regularly in your diet. Thank you for your time. 😊
If you like what we do, please support us on Ko-fi..